Thursday 17 September 2009

The rules: what not to do when you've been sent to Coventry

It may well be that UK house-hunting is over (for the time being). Looks like Coventry may become my new home.

I am developing a set of rules to remind myself of how I should behave, in order not to turn the whole of Coventry against me during my stay.

  1. I must not imagine I am Lady Godiva. True, she's quite the local legend, but I suspect my own figure is best covered up by more than my hair. Also, I don't have access to a horse, and riding a bicycle/scooter/rollerblades/the bus naked would probably be misunderstood by both the general public and the police, and would definitely have no influence on tax rates.
  2. I must learn how to respond when I approach a shop counter and receive the somewhat confusing greeting, "Arraight?".
  3. I must not attempt to use the above-mentioned greeting in my own accent.
  4. I must not attempt to use the local accent. Ever.
  5. I must not pronounce any local place names unless I have received private coaching first, e.g. "Cheylesmore is pronounced Charlesmore" and "Stivichall is pronounced "Sty-chill". Whoever heard of a silent V?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I came to you via Visit wales and their blog competition! I am not sure that Coventry would be my place of choice to settle in the UK. Great rules though. I particularly like the one about not using the local accent!
    Hope things are settling down for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you're very kind! Coventry wouldn't be my first pick of UK locations, either, if I'm honest, but we've come where employment called.
    Thanks for reading my blog, and best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete