Tuesday 21 July 2009

Fun with fumes

The other day, while embarking on a mould-killing offensive in my bathroom, I experienced a few blissful moments of escape.

I could have been disturbed by the stinging of stray Sagrotan (bleach) droplets on my arms. I could have lamented the mysterious new blobs of bleach on fabrics on the far side of the room. I might even have worried about the potential effects of the fumes.

Instead, I stood back (gloves on, with a towel tied over my face), and breathed just a hint of chlorine in the warm, humid air.

"Just like being at the pool," I thought, while chilling out to my summer holiday soundtrack (the noisy exhaust fan - sounds just like air conditioning at home). I was reminded so much of relaxed childhood holidays that, for a few minutes, I started floating off on happy, chlorine-scented memories. I swayed gently, spray bottle in one hand, old toothbrush (for scrubbing grouting and fiddly bits) hanging limply in the other. I wondered vaguely if I should fill the bath, put my bathing suit on, and hop in.

And then I realised that the fumes had gone to my head, and I'd better get out of the room. Quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment